The Lanterncast Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guys...I think something the guys have been asking for is finally happening...

+4
cage_narleigh
choanata
Corwin
Jay Kay
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Jay Kay

Jay Kay

Redesigned Star Sapphires!

So first, the cover of GL: New Guardians #0 in September:

Guys...I think something the guys have been asking for is finally happening... GLNG_Cv0_PREVIEWS

Fatality's obviously got a new costume. Then, earlier today, Brett Booth, artist for Teen Titans and who's apparently been doing a few redesigns for some characters lately, posts a full-body shot of that costume--but not under "Fatality," but as "Star Sapphire."

Guys...I think something the guys have been asking for is finally happening... StarSappireNustar2

I wonder if this is something that maybe will be the basis for most SS costumes from now on--maybe the attack by Bleez and the Red Lantern for their supposed involvement in killing their battery causes them to go more militarized?

But yeah, what do you guys think of the design in general?

Corwin

Corwin

It's actually Carol...

Jay Kay

Jay Kay

Corwin wrote:It's actually Carol...

So Carol's going to be part of New Guardians, or what?

Corwin

Corwin

Jay Kay wrote:

PROLOGUE TO THE THIRD ARMY!
• A new team forms as Atrocitus, Larfleeze, Star Sapphire Carol Ferris, Saint Walker, Arkillo and Kyle Rayner prepare for war against the Guardians of the Universe!

Jay Kay

Jay Kay

Corwin wrote:
Jay Kay wrote:

PROLOGUE TO THE THIRD ARMY!
• A new team forms as Atrocitus, Larfleeze, Star Sapphire Carol Ferris, Saint Walker, Arkillo and Kyle Rayner prepare for war against the Guardians of the Universe!

...Probably should have noticed that. I seriously don't think taking out Bleez and replacing Fatality with Carol really counts as a "new team," but whatevs.

choanata

Admin

Well I was never asking for this. And honestly, I'm not too thrilled so far. If they had taken the last design and just filled in the open areas with black, that I would have been cool with. I liked that design in general. But this, with the giant star in the center and the giant face mask, I may change my mind but seeing the cover and the preliminary design, I'm not in favor of it.

Also, the team change, Getting rid of Fatality, Munk and Bleeze, as well as getting rid of Tyler Kirkham, it's making me worry that I'm going to start thinking "well, they had a good run". What does this mean for Red Lanterns if Atrocitus is here? Perhaps they will just focus on the Earth Red Lantern.

cage_narleigh

cage_narleigh
Admin

So am I the ONLY one that's noticing that Atrocitus has a GIANT body and a TINY head? Does he remind anyone of...

Guys...I think something the guys have been asking for is finally happening... Super-mario-bros-movie-goomba

Just saying...

http://www.lanterncast.com

gland

gland

I am 100% in favor of this. It'll be a lot easier to take the Star Sapphires seriously as characters without them looking like complete and utter skanks.

Something I've learned over the last couple years is that I actually kind of like Carol better than I do most of these characters. She could be my favorite Human Lantern. But until now, everything really good about her character has been completely undercut by her costume, which said loud and clear "she's here cuz sex sells". Now they're moving away from that, and I'm really REALLY happy about it Very Happy

DaoFAQ

DaoFAQ

cage_narleigh wrote:So am I the ONLY one that's noticing that Atrocitus has a GIANT body and a TINY head? Does he remind anyone of...

Guys...I think something the guys have been asking for is finally happening... Super-mario-bros-movie-goomba

Just saying...

Everyone's proportions are more than a little off, I'm pretty sure it's just the angle they're being shown in. For a second, I really didn't like the #0 cover because I thought the new Sapphire was a super-stack but then I noticed it was just the angle they were all shown.

Jay Kay

Jay Kay

The cover artist, Gulliem March, tends to play with and distort with anatomy and the perspective of his art, especially when it comes to curvy girls and creepy monsters.

gland

gland

Kyle's body looks like he's about to explode and die.

EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I kinda hate that cover. Carol is almost "Catwoman #0" bad in terms of distorted anatomy (are her legs crossed in mid-flight or that some bizarre waist twist?), and most of the other are also off. Plus, following the trajectory of their flight paths, based on the arch of their bodies, that entire group is going to smack their heads together mere moments from now.

Oddly, the only character that doesn't seem off to me is Larfleeze. His proportions are kinda wonky anyway, though, so that may be it.

Jay Kay

Jay Kay

That's the weird thing--his interior work is often leaps and bounds better than his covers, especially his recent Catwoman ones. I'm sure I'll get blasted for the comparison, but there isn't many other artists I can think of that reminds me of this--the way that he'll have Selina leap off and pull off some action makes me think of a sexy Jack Kirby.

Guys...I think something the guys have been asking for is finally happening... Catwoman-01-page-14

Guys...I think something the guys have been asking for is finally happening... Catwoman5a

Guys...I think something the guys have been asking for is finally happening... Catwoman2

I like his cover for this month's Catwoman, though:

Guys...I think something the guys have been asking for is finally happening... Catwoman101

Corwin

Corwin

Jay Kay wrote:That's the weird thing--his interior work is often leaps and bounds better than his covers, especially his recent Catwoman ones. I'm sure I'll get blasted for the comparison, but there isn't many other artists I can think of that reminds me of this--the way that he'll have Selina leap off and pull off some action makes me think of a sexy Jack Kirby.

You missed the best one...

Guys...I think something the guys have been asking for is finally happening... Tumblr_m5i0i7efF31qbujox

Last edited by Corwin on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Jay Kay

Jay Kay

Like I said--I love the guy's work, but I can't deny some of his stuff looks silly as shit at times.

gland

gland

That cover is pissing a LOT of people off, and I can't help but wonder if it'd be taking as much heat if that series didn't have all of the issue #1 controversy.

Jay Kay

Jay Kay

Which I never really got the controversy for--you mean to tell me that Catwoman has had sex with Batman!? Shocked They've basically been openly fucking in some form or another for at LEAST 50 years.

Corwin

Corwin

Jay Kay wrote:Which I never really got the controversy for--you mean to tell me that Catwoman has had sex with Batman!? Shocked They've basically been openly fucking in some form or another for at LEAST 50 years.

50+ year olds having sex?

eeeeeewwwwwwwww....

gland

gland

My favorite reaction to Catwoman #1 was from a woman. She said something to the effect of "Know what's not healthy? Those two having all that sexual tension for that many years and NOT acting on it eventually".

GLKitteh

gland wrote:My favorite reaction to Catwoman #1 was from a woman. She said something to the effect of "Know what's not healthy? Those two having all that sexual tension for that many years and NOT acting on it eventually".

I completly agree and I've been saying that since the issue came out! People are over-reacting morons who just want something to complain about. You don't like it don't read the comic. If enough people don't buy it they will stop bringing out comics like that. Vote with your money!

choanata

Admin

I don't care about Catwoman, I don't care what she does, she is pretty meaningless to me. So I'm not going to read her book and I'm not going to care what happens in it.

But I do think it's odd that there are so many people supporting Catwoman openly fucking Batman on the roof of a building like it's empowering for her character to be fuck friends with Batman, since they obviously are not in a relationship, but those same people condemn the Star Sapphire costumes, on a group of people working around the concept of love and clearly are not out to bang everyone in the universe.

Catwoman's costume=skin tight and leaves nothing to the imagination, that's fine.
Star Sapphire's costume=too much skin showing. Must be whores.

That does not make any sense to me. And with the redesign they are even covering up more of her face, as well as adding a giant fucking star on her abdomen. Where's the burka? That would really put her in her place.

Jay Kay

Jay Kay

choanata wrote:I don't care about Catwoman, I don't care what she does, she is pretty meaningless to me. So I'm not going to read her book and I'm not going to care what happens in it.

But I do think it's odd that there are so many people supporting Catwoman openly fucking Batman on the roof of a building like it's empowering for her character to be fuck friends with Batman, since they obviously are not in a relationship, but those same people condemn the Star Sapphire costumes, on a group of people working around the concept of love and clearly are not out to bang everyone in the universe.

Catwoman's costume=skin tight and leaves nothing to the imagination, that's fine.

That does not make any sense to me. And with the redesign they are even covering up more of her face, as well as adding a giant fucking star on her abdomen. Where's the burka? That would really put her in her place.

I never really had a problem with Carol's previous costume. I mean, it's a little silly, but so are most superhero costumes in general.

The line I personally have is power-sets. Characters like Wonder Woman and Power Girl can go around in skimpier outfits because their powers make them invulnerable and they don't really need armor. The street-level heroes, however, need at least some sort of protection around them to survive--that's why Huntress and her belly-window was so derived.

With that in mind, while Carol doesn't have powers inately, her ring gives her the power, so while I never LOVED the previous one, it never took me out of the story either.

choanata

Admin

Indeed. Protective shields provided by the rings. Look at Munk from Indigo. Nobody has any objections about the functionality of his costume, but is it really any better? It doesn't matter thanks to the ring.

GLKitteh

choanata wrote:I don't care about Catwoman, I don't care what she does, she is pretty meaningless to me. So I'm not going to read her book and I'm not going to care what happens in it.

The difference is that with Batman and Catwoman there was a definate undercurrent of love between the two of them as well as the sex being a sort of stress relief for the both of them. It made since for Catwoman. Also her outfit is a stealth suit, it is tighter for the mobility, which does make some since.

And while a group with power rings can wear whatever the hell they want it is mainly an issue because they say they are trying to spread and protect love and then dress and look like hookers. Catwoman isn't running around professing love while strangling guys with FM heels. Not that she won't strangle guys while wearing FM heels, but she isn't syaing she is trying to spread love.

The main problem and difference is that Catwoman wears a tight outfit for mobility and stealth but does use her sexuality as a weapon at times.
The Star Sapphires run around professing the complex concept of love but dress like the baser definitions of love (i.e. carnal lust, the only way to show love is through sex, etc.) and look like strippers. At least Catwoman is (usually) shaped a little more like a real woman with some muscle tone. The Star Sapphires all look Anorexic, especially during thier revival.

gland

gland

Jim, don't front. You liked the old Sapphire costumes because you liked looking at hot women nearly naked, and that's it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum