The Lanterncast Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers)

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Empty Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:43 pm

choanata

Admin

So I hit up the comic shop on Wednesday to get the new comics for the week... and what a let down. Aside from nothing out for Blackest Night, not a bad thing in that it helps us catch up, there were only 3 comics I wanted to buy.

First was Tiny Titans 25. This is the one that Johns had a hand in writing. It was awesome. It's got the different color rings and it's fun. I'd get this regularly if I had kids, and even though I don't yet I'll probably check it out from time to time. Great read.

Next was Green Hornet. Have not had a chance to read it yet, but it's based on the Kevin Smith script. I figure it's worth a shot.

And finally was Adventure Comics 8. I will be honest, I have not read this issue, only flipped through. But as I flipped I was just thinking "oh god, it's an issue all about this? Ugh." I suppose I could be surprised and maybe I'll like it, but it seems to me that it deals with certain plots and stories going on that I have ZERO care for. Making it a comic I completely regret buying. I should have flipped through first. Won't be making that mistake again.

Also, I flipped through the 25 cent bins since it was such a slim week. I ended up finding all the Marvel Ape books, 4 in the main series and like 2 or 3 other 1-shots. Not bad to collect them all for less than 2 bucks.

2Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Empty Re: Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:01 pm

cage_narleigh

cage_narleigh
Admin

I was thinking about issue 8 of adventure comics. I think Dan might like it since it has ALOT to do with LEGION (hey you said spoilers in the topic)I'm really intruiged as to the Braniac aspect of the story as it refers to LAST STAND OF NEW KRYPTON....

http://www.lanterncast.com

3Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Empty Re: Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:05 am

electric mayhem

electric mayhem

Cry for Justice #7 and I found all 12 original issues of COIE for twenty bucks, (never read it, *gasp* I know I know.... but now I can in floppies) plus #2-12 of Wednesday's comics (thinking of binding those) for only .99 a issue.

The hole in the wall store (dust everywhere) had Geoff John's Green Lantern #1 for 4 bucks... almost got it for posterity, but that was not to be.

Crises on Two Earths Double Disc DVD... awesome... The Spectre short... was graphic and sooooo cool. Sweetest soundtrack I've ever heard on a cartoon. Can ya dig it?

4Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Empty Re: Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:10 am

choanata

Admin

saberdraken wrote:Cry for Justice #7 and I found all 12 original issues of COIE for twenty bucks, (never read it, *gasp* I know I know.... but now I can in floppies) plus #2-12 of Wednesday's comics (thinking of binding those) for only .99 a issue.

The hole in the wall store (dust everywhere) had Geoff John's Green Lantern #1 for 4 bucks... almost got it for posterity, but that was not to be.

Crises on Two Earths Double Disc DVD... awesome... The Spectre short... was graphic and sooooo cool. Sweetest soundtrack I've ever heard on a cartoon. Can ya dig it?

After 2 issues I bailed on Cry for Justice. Just no interest. And it was expensive! Nice find on the Crisis and Wednesday comics.

Dan and I talk about the Crisis movie on the next episode, although I have yet to get to watch the Spectre short.

5Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Empty Re: Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:23 am

electric mayhem

electric mayhem

choanata wrote:

After 2 issues I bailed on Cry for Justice. Just no interest. And it was expensive! Nice find on the Crisis and Wednesday comics.

Dan and I talk about the Crisis movie on the next episode, although I have yet to get to watch the Spectre short.

Yea, after 4 issues I wasn't impressed. But the completest (Spelling?) in me couldn't resist....

GLKitteh

Did anyone else read JSA 36? O.O poor alan...

7Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Empty Re: Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:12 am

choanata

Admin

GLKitteh wrote:Did anyone else read JSA 36? O.O poor alan...

I've kinda dropped JSA. After the team split, it's just not the same. Alan is great, but there's not enough of him for me to want to continue reading, and that JSA All Stars has all the characters I really like and I am not digging the art on that one. So what happened to Alan?

Also, I read the first 2/3rds of Adventure Comics. My first impression is that it's like paying 4 to get the prequel of what's going to be happening in the Superman books.

The first story was a LOSH story. I'll be honest though, I always did want to know about why Brainiac 5 was named Brainiac 5, so that first story was decent for me. I don't think I have a problem with Legion of Super-Heroes stories now, I used to be totally confused by them and now I'm just starting to get it and enjoy it.

The second story was about Superboy, Mon-El and the LOSHs that are stuck in this time. This I pretty much hated. Aside from the disjointed way they pull Mon-El into the story (whom I have less than no interest in), I don't care about this plot line. Fail.

And have not read the third story yet, but just looking at the art, it looks horribly boring. A woman telling a story on her couch in the dark or something, I don't know.

GLKitteh

choanata wrote:
GLKitteh wrote:Did anyone else read JSA 36? O.O poor alan...

I've kinda dropped JSA. After the team split, it's just not the same. Alan is great, but there's not enough of him for me to want to continue reading, and that JSA All Stars has all the characters I really like and I am not digging the art on that one. So what happened to Alan?

Also, I read the first 2/3rds of Adventure Comics. My first impression is that it's like paying 4 to get the prequel of what's going to be happening in the Superman books.

The first story was a LOSH story. I'll be honest though, I always did want to know about why Brainiac 5 was named Brainiac 5, so that first story was decent for me. I don't think I have a problem with Legion of Super-Heroes stories now, I used to be totally confused by them and now I'm just starting to get it and enjoy it.

The second story was about Superboy, Mon-El and the LOSHs that are stuck in this time. This I pretty much hated. Aside from the disjointed way they pull Mon-El into the story (whom I have less than no interest in), I don't care about this plot line. Fail.

And have not read the third story yet, but just looking at the art, it looks horribly boring. A woman telling a story on her couch in the dark or something, I don't know.

They are doing a future thing where Mr.Terrific is telling his past from 20 years in the future. Alan got killed by a mine in a wooden box by those neo-nazi people.

choanata

Admin

GLKitteh wrote:
They are doing a future thing where Mr.Terrific is telling his past from 20 years in the future. Alan got killed by a mine in a wooden box by those neo-nazi people.

I'm guessing they will figure out a way around that pretty easily considering what we've seen in the Legion of Super-Heroes stories recently, and Alan's role there.

10Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Empty Re: Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:52 pm

cage_narleigh

cage_narleigh
Admin

I don't know how to feel about the Adventure comics. I enjoyed it for the first couple of issues. Then blackest night took over, then this issue 8 came about and IDK. It just feels like theres hardly any consistancy to it and it's driving me nuts. Im thinking about giving it two more issues to prove itself and if it doesn't get better by issue 10, I'm dropping it.

Speaking of dropping issues, I was going to post my current pull list and see what you guys think I should drop...

Thor (Thinking about dropping)
Green Lantern (NEVER!!!)
Green Lantern Corps (NEVER!!!)
World of New Krypton (over so...)
Superman Secret Origin
Adventure Comics (Thinking about dropping)
Seige [mini only] (Thinking about dropping)
Firestar [new mini supposed to come out, gonna give issue one a try, unless I hear different here...]
Avengers Origin [give it a shot when it starts]
The complete Dracula (over so...should I get the trade?)
Ironman VS. Whiplash
Kill Shakespeare (upcoming from IDW...yes? no?)
Dante's Inferno
Cry for justice (over so...)
Blackest Night (almost over..)
Brightest Day....maybe just the mini....unless they have other good issues like Blackest night had with Atom and Hawkman..
War of the Supermen
Last Stand of New Krypton (mini leading into war of the supermen)

So?....

11Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Empty Re: Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:19 pm

cage_narleigh

cage_narleigh
Admin

Thor (Thinking about dropping)
Green Lantern (NEVER!!!)
Green Lantern Corps (NEVER!!!)
World of New Krypton (over so...)
Superman Secret Origin
Adventure Comics (Thinking about dropping)
Seige [mini only] (Thinking about dropping)
Firestar [new mini supposed to come out, gonna give issue one a try, unless I hear different here...]
Avengers Origin [give it a shot when it starts]
The complete Dracula (over so...should I get the trade?)
Ironman VS. Whiplash
Kill Shakespeare (upcoming from IDW...yes? no?)
Dante's Inferno
Cry for justice (over so...)
Blackest Night (almost over..)
Brightest Day....maybe just the mini....unless they have other good issues like Blackest night had with Atom and Hawkman..
War of the Supermen
Last Stand of New Krypton (mini leading into war of the supermen)

So?....[/quote]

I just called my LCS and dropped Dante's Inferno (I like it but I'll just wait for the trade), Seige (I'm not HUNGRY for it anymore) and Avengers: Origin (I never really cared about them anyways)

So that leaves my pull list like this...

Green Lantern

Green Lantern Corps

Superman: Secret Origin

Superman: Last Stand of New Krypton

War of the Supermen

Blackest Night #8

Brightest Day (Mini only, I think I'm just going to read the tie-ins IN STORE and decide to
buy or not for an eventual bind)

IDW's Kill Shakespeare (Starting in April)

Thor

Adventure Comics

Firestar (One-shot)

I now ask your advice on THREE comics now...

1) Green Lantern Corps: I LOVE GLC, but sometimes I feel like I'm just picking it up because of Blackest Night or now Brightest Day. I'm conflicted because I DO love things like Mogo showing up and epic visuals of the battery falling over and everything. But at the same time, I'm not AS excited to read it as I am issues of Green Lantern or Blackest Night. IDK....

2) Thor: I LOVE Thor. The current run has been kicking ass, but lately it feels as if theres too much Seige storyline. I kind of just want to read about Thor and the Asgardians making a home for themselves on earth and not some HUGE storyline. I liked the current run on Thor because Thor is (well...WAS) King of Asgard and reading the story was almost like reading a Tales of the Corps issue. Thor and the Asgardians. They're loyal brothers in arms who fight alongside one another and interact with one another. And I liked reading about Thor's alter ego too. I don't know, I just wish Thor was a nice action filled book, but could have remained calm like it was for awhile longer before jumping into Seige. I MIGHT give it a chance up until a few issues following Free Comic Book Day. Iron Man/Thor comes out FCBD and that kicks off the new creative team behind Thor. New writer Matt Fraction said this in an interview...

"I made my fondness of the character known during my Ages of Thunder [one-shots] and the [THOR: SECRET INVASION limited series] and the [THOR: GIANT-SIZED special] and all that stuff," says Fraction of his recent involvement with Thor. "I got to a point where I didn't want to keep doing the times past stuff. When it became clear that [outgoing THOR writer J. Michael Straczynski] was stepping aside, I threw my hat into the ring."

I like it when writers love the character. For me, Fraction has 2 or 3 issues to get me re-invested in the character, after that, I make my decision...

3) Adventure Comics: I liked the first few issues, then came Blackest Night and I had to get those, and now it's jumping into the "Braniac and the Legion of Superheroes" storyline and the "Last Stand of New Krypton" story at the SAME time. I can't NOT get it because I'm going to do the same thing with Last Stand and War of the Supermen that I did with New Krypton when it started, pick up every issue with a LAST STAND or WAR OF THE SUPERMEN banner on the top and make a bind....Adventure Comics is driving me nuts though by hopping around so much. There's no consistancy and apparently the next issue is supposed to have 3 sepearte storylines just like this past issue....UGH!!! What to do...

12Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Empty Re: Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:18 am

choanata

Admin

cage_narleigh wrote:
I just called my LCS and dropped Dante's Inferno (I like it but I'll just wait for the trade), Seige (I'm not HUNGRY for it anymore) and Avengers: Origin (I never really cared about them anyways)

So that leaves my pull list like this...

Green Lantern

Green Lantern Corps

Superman: Secret Origin

Superman: Last Stand of New Krypton

War of the Supermen

Blackest Night #8

Brightest Day (Mini only, I think I'm just going to read the tie-ins IN STORE and decide to
buy or not for an eventual bind)

IDW's Kill Shakespeare (Starting in April)

Thor

Adventure Comics

Firestar (One-shot)

I now ask your advice on THREE comics now...

1) Green Lantern Corps: I LOVE GLC, but sometimes I feel like I'm just picking it up because of Blackest Night or now Brightest Day. I'm conflicted because I DO love things like Mogo showing up and epic visuals of the battery falling over and everything. But at the same time, I'm not AS excited to read it as I am issues of Green Lantern or Blackest Night. IDK....

2) Thor: I LOVE Thor. The current run has been kicking ass, but lately it feels as if theres too much Seige storyline. I kind of just want to read about Thor and the Asgardians making a home for themselves on earth and not some HUGE storyline. I liked the current run on Thor because Thor is (well...WAS) King of Asgard and reading the story was almost like reading a Tales of the Corps issue. Thor and the Asgardians. They're loyal brothers in arms who fight alongside one another and interact with one another. And I liked reading about Thor's alter ego too. I don't know, I just wish Thor was a nice action filled book, but could have remained calm like it was for awhile longer before jumping into Seige. I MIGHT give it a chance up until a few issues following Free Comic Book Day. Iron Man/Thor comes out FCBD and that kicks off the new creative team behind Thor. New writer Matt Fraction said this in an interview...

"I made my fondness of the character known during my Ages of Thunder [one-shots] and the [THOR: SECRET INVASION limited series] and the [THOR: GIANT-SIZED special] and all that stuff," says Fraction of his recent involvement with Thor. "I got to a point where I didn't want to keep doing the times past stuff. When it became clear that [outgoing THOR writer J. Michael Straczynski] was stepping aside, I threw my hat into the ring."

I like it when writers love the character. For me, Fraction has 2 or 3 issues to get me re-invested in the character, after that, I make my decision...

3) Adventure Comics: I liked the first few issues, then came Blackest Night and I had to get those, and now it's jumping into the "Braniac and the Legion of Superheroes" storyline and the "Last Stand of New Krypton" story at the SAME time. I can't NOT get it because I'm going to do the same thing with Last Stand and War of the Supermen that I did with New Krypton when it started, pick up every issue with a LAST STAND or WAR OF THE SUPERMEN banner on the top and make a bind....Adventure Comics is driving me nuts though by hopping around so much. There's no consistancy and apparently the next issue is supposed to have 3 sepearte storylines just like this past issue....UGH!!! What to do...

I'm surprised you dropped Siege. Aren't there only like 1 or 2 issues left? I can't comment too much on Thor as I don't read that. GLC is going to change drastically after Blackest Night, new creative team and everything, so I'd say wait and think about it after you get a feel for the creative team. Adventure comics is way too hit or miss for me. And it stinks because if I wait to flip through at the comic shop I will pay full price, or pay close to half and preorder regardless. What to do?

I'm going to try the Kill Shakespeare book. Got the first issue on order already (I switched back to DCBS, hopefully for a while). Superman: Secret Origin has been good, I'll stick with that. And I looked at the Firstar thing and passed. It's 3.99, and with the DCBS discount it's just 2 bucks, but still not worth it for me. If it turns out to be epically awesome I'll just get the trade, but I somehow doubt it will.

I might get War Of The Supermen. It's 4 issues and done in the same month. We shall see about that one.

13Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Empty Re: Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:02 am

cage_narleigh

cage_narleigh
Admin

You DO know that FIRESTAR is going to be a 32 page One-shot right? Do they do trades for all of their one-shots over at Marvel? I mean, I'm sure DC will do it for the resurected titles of Blackest Night "one-shots" but I mean, they're part of a series.

And I had a question. We KNOW for a FACT that DC will be putting out Brightest Day as a mini and Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps will continue the story. We also know that at least 1 issue of JLA will have a Brightest Day tie-in. And we know that at least the first issue of the new Flash on-going series will tie in with Brightest Day. As will the Titans issue with Deathstrokes new team. My question is this....

What ELSE will be included with Brightest Day? Is that it? Wouldn't we have heard something by now? Will they over-do it like they did with Blackest Night? Did they learn their lesson and decide to tone it down to the mini, GL, GLC and only a few others? What's going on?

And LASTLY, Jim, I just checked DC's comic solicits for the rest of this month. The only issues left to cover for this month will be GLC (this coming weds) GL (March 24th) and Blackest Night #8 (March 31st). What does this mean for the podcast? Back to speculation? Are you going to use the extra time before Brightest Day kicks in to do some of the ideas you talked about before? AND I have to ask, are you going to talk about any OTHER comics you guys read? Like for instance, Jim, you and I both pick up Superman: Secret Origin and will be picking up War of the Supermen. Will you talk about that? I know its a LANTERNcast, but I think itd be cool to hear you two talk about what ELSE you pick up and why and why you're enjoying it. Just ONE episode. I think you did something like that before but it was awhile ago....do it again man....pull lists change...lol

14Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Empty Re: Comics for 3-3-10 (Possible Spoilers) Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:25 am

choanata

Admin

cage_narleigh wrote:You DO know that FIRESTAR is going to be a 32 page One-shot right? Do they do trades for all of their one-shots over at Marvel? I mean, I'm sure DC will do it for the resurected titles of Blackest Night "one-shots" but I mean, they're part of a series.

And I had a question. We KNOW for a FACT that DC will be putting out Brightest Day as a mini and Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps will continue the story. We also know that at least 1 issue of JLA will have a Brightest Day tie-in. And we know that at least the first issue of the new Flash on-going series will tie in with Brightest Day. As will the Titans issue with Deathstrokes new team. My question is this....

What ELSE will be included with Brightest Day? Is that it? Wouldn't we have heard something by now? Will they over-do it like they did with Blackest Night? Did they learn their lesson and decide to tone it down to the mini, GL, GLC and only a few others? What's going on?

And LASTLY, Jim, I just checked DC's comic solicits for the rest of this month. The only issues left to cover for this month will be GLC (this coming weds) GL (March 24th) and Blackest Night #8 (March 31st). What does this mean for the podcast? Back to speculation? Are you going to use the extra time before Brightest Day kicks in to do some of the ideas you talked about before? AND I have to ask, are you going to talk about any OTHER comics you guys read? Like for instance, Jim, you and I both pick up Superman: Secret Origin and will be picking up War of the Supermen. Will you talk about that? I know its a LANTERNcast, but I think itd be cool to hear you two talk about what ELSE you pick up and why and why you're enjoying it. Just ONE episode. I think you did something like that before but it was awhile ago....do it again man....pull lists change...lol

I thought that Firestar thing was a miniseries. Oh well, I'll probably still pass.

I don't know what to expect really from Brightest Day. I feel like the crossovers are going to crossover loosely at best, meaning you can pick them up or not and not really miss much. Like with Blackest Night. Nobody needed to read Wierd Western Tales. In fact you were probably better off if you didn't.

And for this month, it's good there's not a lot so we can catch up on some of the titles we missed, get to contest entries and also talk about Supershow. We only have 2 more episodes before Supershow, and then it's the Supershow episode. Episode 50 by the way.

As far as getting to talk about other comics, I've thought about it. Dan and I both have the first Chew trade, and we do get other similar books, but we have yet to talk about the Smallville 2 hour movie, or the commentary on First Flight. So it will have to wait if we do decide to do something like that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum