The Lanterncast Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

LanternCast Presents: Mosaic – The End

+2
gland
choanata
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1LanternCast Presents: Mosaic – The End Empty LanternCast Presents: Mosaic – The End Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:55 pm

choanata

Admin

It’s issue 17 and 18 together in this final installment, closing out Dan’s study of Green Lantern Mosaic. Come find out what it was all about, where it leaves the characters, and what became of John Stewart in the years between Mosaic and the present day. Call our voicemail number at 708-LANTERN!

Download The Final Episode Here!

gland

gland

LanternCast Presents: Mosaic – The End 23190_20060428175604_large

GLKitteh

Great, now I want to try eating a ring. Maybe that was the real reason he couldn't walk. It lodged itself comewhere in there, lol

Jay Kay

Jay Kay

With #17, it didn't bother me that a lot of it focuses on the heroes trying to get everyone on the Mosaic free, since while they could have definitely sped it up, the ideas as presented in the story were interesting enough that it kept me engrossed; especially since the whole last issue was the heroes just standing around and, from her perspective, talking down to her, we did kind-of need to see them realize that this isn't a pure, black and white situation.

Definitely agree about wanting to see Hamner complete this series--the artists that do these two issues aren't terrible at all and do a fairly good job with it, but that would have been amazing to see.

There was something I noticed art-wise--Katma Tui's costume by #17-18 is the same one that John was wearing at the beginning of the series. I have to imagine that was on purpose.

As for John's "Master Builder" retcon...it is sudden, but I think Jones explained it well enough that it made sense.

I'd love to see that first issue as a one-man play too.

Good episode, and good series for this, erm, series. Smile

Scott

Scott

I think #17 would have been a fine issue if it wasn’t the second to last issue we would ever get to see because it makes us want more. It definitely seems a bit repetitive with the different characters finding out that certain species want to stay throughout the issue. It was nice to see the Rose relationship wrapped up though. I wonder if Gerard Jones ever used this line to end a relationship with a girl: “Omega and Alpha, Rose.” What a way to say it’s over…..

#18 had a shocking start to it. I truly believed the Mosaic world was completely destroyed and it would have been a very dark way to end this series. But then John turns to the reader again and talks to us and completely turns the story into a happy ending. I don’t know about this. Dan you mentioned in the podcast that the Mosaic world is hardly referred to after this. What if the Mosaic world was truly destroyed and the rest of the issue is actually John trying to convince himself that everyone is happy and that he can play the piano for everyone whenever he wants. It might be a bit of a stretch but this might be a good way for us to put closure on the Mosaic world (kind of like a dark “Empire Strikes Back” ending). I like the cheap shot that Gerard Jones takes by telling us “oh, the stories I could tell you, if you could only stay!” meaning that if the series wasn’t cancelled you could have had so many other stories about this world that you’ll never get to read about. Ugh. That’s too bad. It’s unbelievable that Emerald Twilight was such a big event that it essentially ended the Mosaic series. But we ended up getting the new Kyle character (which is great) at the cost of losing the Mosaic world (which is bad).

Final thoughts: Dan I really appreciate the time you spent putting this podcast series together. It was excellent. I look forward to future solo podcasts that you or Jim might be planning. You’ll just have to make sure to give the fans plenty of time to pick up the issues because it’s great to follow along. Thanks for the shout-out in the final Mosaic podcast. I’m sure Jay Kay and I won’t be the last to pick up this series and follow along with your podcasts. In fact I’ll probably read this series again (maybe a year from now?) and listen to the podcasts again. I’m actually starting to pick up more issues from the early 90’s that lead up to Emerald Twilight which should be fun.

gland

gland

Cool, you finally made it Smile

Scott

Scott

Hey guys, what was your favourite issue out of the whole series?

I think my favourites are #11 "I Am Myself, Mosaic" and #15 "What Dis Be".

#11 has a great cover with John Stewart swimming in red blood. The issue is a flashback to John as a kid and it has a great scene where John's dad gives him a hard time about life. I really think that if it weren't for John's dad, John might not have had the willpower to become a Green Lantern.

#15 is the one where John goes for a ride with the old-timer and John finally comes to a conclusion with his madness and has the big "reveal" while talking with Ch'p. I was completely blown away the first time I read this issue.

gland

gland

My favorites are the done-in-ones (which kinda sounds like a Mosaic race), and I think the one introducing the kids stands out a little further than the rest.

Scott

Scott

A little bit off topic but still essential John Stewart reading, I just read Action Comics #601 where Katma gets sliced up by Star Sapphire. If tackling the Mosaic series you might as well grab a few other essential books to understand why John became the character he is in Mosaic.

Might as well pick up #601 - #604 where John gets falsely accused of killing Carol too. Man this guy has been through a lot.....

gland

gland

I've read that four issue arc where John goes off to try and murder Star Sapphire, and Hal's trying to stop him, and Carol's trying to murder Hal. Drama!

Scott

Scott

I just read Cosmic Odyssey for the first time and it really bummed me out. I had to drown my sorrows in a bunch of Canadian beer after I read the panels where he was about to blow his brains out.

I'm even more pissed off now that they made him kill Kirtt and put him on trial in the New 52. Hasn't this guy been through enough? Dan - should they just put John out of his misery and kill him off so we don't have to see him go through anymore pain and anguish? I'm afraid what they might do to him next.

gland

gland

Hey, if they never put him through messed up crap, we'd never get stories like Mosaic where he works through it. They just need to pull their heads out of their butts and realize he's not a one note character.

Scott

Scott

gland wrote:Hey, if they never put him through messed up crap, we'd never get stories like Mosaic where he works through it. They just need to pull their heads out of their butts and realize he's not a one note character.

They could start by making him the hero of the upcoming Rise of the Third Army. That would just be a start of what they owe him.

DaoFAQ

DaoFAQ

Blume wrote:
gland wrote:Hey, if they never put him through messed up crap, we'd never get stories like Mosaic where he works through it. They just need to pull their heads out of their butts and realize he's not a one note character.

They could start by making him the hero of the upcoming Rise of the Third Army. That would just be a start of what they owe him.

This kind of brings up the image of John randomly looking up and yelling at the giants in the sky for messing with his life.

gland

gland

Blume wrote:

I'm all for that. But no, they'll probably follow Hal Jordan. Hal Jordan, by the way, is the one person I would NEVER follow into battle, because he's too impulsive and just assumes everything will work out. Go with John, he's got a background in military combat and architecture, that can mix into tactics that'll take out the most essential facets of the enemy's whole deal.

Scott

Scott

Dan, have you read Green Lantern #70?!

It basically says that when John was made leader of the Darkstars he got the rest of the Darkstars to come and take everyone off Oa before Kyle blew it up.

Quote "John lost his power and was offered leadership of the Darkstars. He got them (Mosaic community) to evacuate Oa before I (Kyle) destroyed Oa during my battle with Hal".

Awesome! Has this been shown in the Darkstars series? I haven't read it.

gland

gland

Was that when John and Kyle had the big green camp fire? That's the only moment I remember Mosaic ever getting brought up in Kyle's run, though to be fair I haven't read most of those issues since they came out.

Scott

Scott

Good memory Dan. They drink coffee in the snow and then get visited by a Beserker. Later in the issue they have a campfire together.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum