The Lanterncast Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lantern Corps question?????

+2
choanata
warbeast
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lantern Corps question????? Empty Lantern Corps question????? Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:58 am

warbeast

Hey guys, warbeast here, long time comic fan, new to GL and loving it. but something is confusing me... I always see the word CORPs in GL titles and story lines, but when fans talk they seem to be saying CORE, is there a difference?

2Lantern Corps question????? Empty Re: Lantern Corps question????? Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:55 am

choanata

Admin

The P is silent Smile

3Lantern Corps question????? Empty Re: Lantern Corps question????? Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:59 pm

warbeast

i'm an idiot thanx

4Lantern Corps question????? Empty Re: Lantern Corps question????? Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:15 pm

choanata

Admin

warbeast wrote:i'm an idiot thanx

No, it's a common error. Just like it took me a long time to realize the Colonel was pronounced "Kernel", or hors d'oeuvres is pronounced "orderves". I always knew the pronunciations, but never tried spelling them. And then you see it in writing and wonder what the heck this word means.

5Lantern Corps question????? Empty Re: Lantern Corps question????? Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:39 am

DaoFAQ

DaoFAQ

I'll freely admit to making this mistake myself once upon a time.

Welcome to the Corps. Very Happy

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I swear. Surprised

6Lantern Corps question????? Empty Re: Lantern Corps question????? Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:59 pm

gland

gland

Yeah, it's a military thing. We can't tell them they're wrong, because they have tanks.

7Lantern Corps question????? Empty Re: Lantern Corps question????? Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:34 am

EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly

I have a lot of military folks in my family, so this was never an issue for me, but I understand it.

What kinda drives me nuts, though, is when people recognize the "p" is silent, but go ahead and pronounce the "s" in the singular.

As in, "I love the Green Lantern 'Cores'!"

Nope. Should be, "I love the Green Lantern 'Core'!"

Or, instead, "I love the various 'Cores' within the Green Lantern books right now!"

Spelled the same, "corps," either way, so I get the issue... I'm just picky about it.

8Lantern Corps question????? Empty Re: Lantern Corps question????? Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Corwin

Corwin

I'd hold up my Reading Rainbow sign right now if I could find it...

Oh wait I found it!

Lantern Corps question????? Reading_rainbow_109998

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum