The Lanterncast Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Third Army - Geoff John's Next GL Epic...

+4
DaoFAQ
EarthGBilly
gland
cage_narleigh
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

cage_narleigh

cage_narleigh
Admin

The Third Army - Geoff John's Next GL Epic... Thirda11

So from Newsarama...

“Absolute power corrupts absolutely--and the Guardians time is finally here," Johns said on DC's The Source blog today. "The Lantern titles spent the first year of DC Comics The New 52 re-establishing themselves, but it all comes back together with year 2 starting with Green Lantern #0 and leading into October's #13's - which share an amazing cover by Ivan Reis. In October, the Guardians' Third Army rises to replace the Green Lantern Corps - but how is horrifying and why will change the Guardians and their ancient mission forever. As we discover what the Third Army actually means, our strongest Lanterns are targeted for absolute destruction. From Atrocitus to Guy Gardner to our newest Green Lantern from Earth - who may have been wrongly chosen - all their darkest secrets and failures will come to light. What is Sinestro's ultimate fate? Who is this new Green Lantern and why was he chosen? What is the Third Army? What with Atrocitus sacrifice to take on the Guardians? What will Larfleeze give up to find the one thing he wants? What happens to Guy Gardner when he's targeted after Hal Jordan? And, most importantly, who is the First Lantern?”

Green Lantern Corps writer Peter Tomasi said of the event: “The Guardians and the Third Army want to break the Green Lantern Corps -- and they've now got their sights on Guy Gardner and John Stewart! The question is not if the Guardians can accomplish their mission, but how horribly will they shatter our ringslingers’ lives!”

Green Lantern: New Guardians writer Tony Bedard: “In Green Lantern: New Guardians, Kyle Rayner has gathered a team of Lanterns from all seven colors of the spectrum. As the Third Army strikes, Kyle must combine all seven shades of power within himself. A bigger and badder lineup of New Guardians will push Kyle to become our secret weapon against the onslaught of the Third Army.”

Red Lanterns writer Peter Milligan: “The Red Lanterns are continuing their mission to bring bloody vengeance to an unjust world when they run into (or are run into) a mysterious enemy with no mouth and a curious resistance to death. One Red Lantern succumbs to this new adversary, while Atrocitus finds a way to fight back – which entails returning to a place of great pain and associating with an ancient nemesis.”

So go for it. Obviously the image is a four part series of covers for the 'event'. So what do we think of our first look of the VERY 'Trench'-like Third Army? What do we think of this event? What's going down? Predictions? Basically opening up the conversation...

http://www.lanterncast.com

gland

gland

I guess that's what the Third Army looks like. It makes perfect sense for them to look that blank and threatening, as opposed to the Lanterns who're blatantly individuals.

EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly

So go for it. Obviously the image is a four part series of covers for the 'event'. So what do we think of our first look of the VERY 'Trench'-like Third Army? What do we think of this event? What's going down? Predictions? Basically opening up the conversation...

Very First Thought: Look, I don't care, I'm still not buy that Red Lantern book.

Subsequent thoughts:

Obviously, the Guardians aren't just looking to keep the universe in "order" any longer. I think the Third Army is probably more in line with conquering/ruling the universe.

I find myself a little disappointed, though. I feel that the Alpha Lanterns should have been used for this, and that since their inception, they've been generally underutilized. In fact, every time they pop up, I get that, "Oh, yeah, these guys still exist" feeling, like they are a nagging plot thread that the writers every once in a while feel they need to use to justify their creation, a ham-fisted way to tell the readers that, "hey, these guys matter!"

I have enjoyed the slide of the Guardians to a bad-guy role, but I do wish that there was still identifiable opposition within their number. I keep waiting for Ganthet to "wake up."

And, *sigh*, this even looks like it could have been a great way to bring the original Alan Scott/Starheart back into play. Oh well.

DaoFAQ

DaoFAQ

EarthGBilly wrote:So go for it. Obviously the image is a four part series of covers for the 'event'. So what do we think of our first look of the VERY 'Trench'-like Third Army? What do we think of this event? What's going down? Predictions? Basically opening up the conversation...

Very First Thought: Look, I don't care, I'm still not buy that Red Lantern book.

Subsequent thoughts:

Obviously, the Guardians aren't just looking to keep the universe in "order" any longer. I think the Third Army is probably more in line with conquering/ruling the universe.

I find myself a little disappointed, though. I feel that the Alpha Lanterns should have been used for this, and that since their inception, they've been generally underutilized. In fact, every time they pop up, I get that, "Oh, yeah, these guys still exist" feeling, like they are a nagging plot thread that the writers every once in a while feel they need to use to justify their creation, a ham-fisted way to tell the readers that, "hey, these guys matter!"

I have enjoyed the slide of the Guardians to a bad-guy role, but I do wish that there was still identifiable opposition within their number. I keep waiting for Ganthet to "wake up."

And, *sigh*, this even looks like it could have been a great way to bring the original Alan Scott/Starheart back into play. Oh well.

Just watch, the Alpha Lanterns will probably be integral in bringing down the Third Army

GLKitteh

I didn't even notice the third army in the background until someone mentioned them! lol.

choanata

Admin

What if the Guardians are taking a page from Omac and that third army used to be the rest of the green lantern corp, who happened to be absent from this picture...

Scott

Scott

GLKitteh wrote:I didn't even notice the third army in the background until someone mentioned them! lol.

Weird I didn't either.

gland

gland

You guys seriously missed the giant wall of characters? :p

To Billy and Jim's point, maybe it IS an extension of what they started with the Alpha Lanterns, only more fine tuned.

...although I think I could be happy with the Alpha Lanterns' role in things being a tool indirectly used by the Guardians to tear the Corps apart, so they're in shambles once their replacements show up.

Jacob

Jacob

GLKitteh wrote:I didn't even notice the third army in the background until someone mentioned them! lol.
Same here actually!

GLKitteh

choanata wrote:What if the Guardians are taking a page from Omac and that third army used to be the rest of the green lantern corp, who happened to be absent from this picture...

Rachel didn't either.

DaoFAQ

DaoFAQ

I first though they were Lanters that were faded out in order to draw more attention to the main characters.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum