You are not connected. Please login or register

GL Movie thoughts.

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 GL Movie thoughts. on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:19 pm

Okay, so this weekend I got HBO and Cinemax as a preview thing, and amonst other movies, I sat down and watched the Green Lantern movie for the first time.

It's...okay. I actually have a theory about this--I think in terms of story and plot, if this movie was done before Iron Man and The Dark Knight, people wouldn't hate it so much. This is probably in the middle of some of the outsourced Marvel films, like X-Men, Daredevil, or the Fantastic Four. At worst it's a kinda entertaining but also semi-forgettable action flick.

One thing I absolutely LOVED about the movie, though? The creative uses of constructs. It's possibly the most creative take on it I've seen since the days of solo Kyle, if not greater. I mean, nowadays, if most of the GLs saw a crashed helicopter heading towards an innocent woman, they'd probably just use a hand construct. Hal there made it into a construct sportster and have it drive around a construct Hot Wheels ramps. I'd LOVE to see more stuff like that in the comics.

View user profile

2 Re: GL Movie thoughts. on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Finally got the Extended edition Blu Ray on the cheap...I'll re-watch it and let you guys know what I think.

My thoughts on my first viewing was that they skimped on putting the Corps in action. The final battle with Parallax should have been with the Corps on Earth defending people. And Parallax should also have been the over arching bad guy who didn't show up on Earth until the 2nd or 3rd movie.

EDIT: The Sinestro Batman Arkham City code is only for the PS3?!?!?

View user profile

3 Re: GL Movie thoughts. on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:15 pm

Corwin wrote:Finally got the Extended edition Blu Ray on the cheap...I'll re-watch it and let you guys know what I think.

My thoughts on my first viewing was that they skimped on putting the Corps in action. The final battle with Parallax should have been with the Corps on Earth defending people. And Parallax should also have been the over arching bad guy who didn't show up on Earth until the 2nd or 3rd movie.

EDIT: The Sinestro Batman Arkham City code is only for the PS3?!?!?

I think I heard from others that it would have worked better if they didn't try to do both Earth AND space, and I think I agree. If they kept on Earth, focused more on Hammond and waited until a sequel to introduce the Corps, it would have worked a lot better.

View user profile

4 Re: GL Movie thoughts. on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:41 am

So I'm watching the extras and in a real quick scene we get the names of all the Guardians

Scar
Raugniad
Nguanzo
Appa
Ganthet
Baris
Pazu
Sayd
Herupa

I know we've heard some of these names before but are there any originals?

View user profile

5 Re: GL Movie thoughts. on Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:47 pm

So I've got this ongoing email thread with some friends about the GL movie... One of them asked me how I would fix the movie. My reply... (edited for small ears).

"
Man, there is concept art out there where the whole Corps came to Earth to help save the people from Parallax. I'm talking shields being erected, Lantern's back to back blasting away...

Fixing this movie would be easy.

1) Make Parallax the overarching villain for at least two movies finally bringing him to Earth in the third.

2) Or bring a Krona possessed Parallax in the 2nd movie instead of the first and have them face it's real form in the 3rd. Make Hector the central conflict in the 1st movie.

3) Parallax's captor should never have been just Abin Sur...the Guardians should have been the ones to trap it. Make it's possession of Krona actually count by saying he was the one who knew how to capture it.

3a) Let's face it, why the hell would the Guardians be afraid of a being that one of their own Lanterns captured?

4) Sinestro's rebellion should have been built up more before giving him the Yellow Ring. He should of sided more with Hal in the first movie and grow more and more disgruntled with the Guardians inaction throughout the 1st and 2nd movies until something that happens that makes him cross the line and start his own Corps at the end of the second.

4a) I mean let's have him lose someone close to him by the Guardians' inaction...but to be fair just because he got the ring at the end of the 1st movie doesn't mean he'll defect right away.

5) If they had to keep Parallax as the main villain in the 1st movie it should have taken something extraordinary for them to defeat it. Like the Corps AND the Guardians having to recapture it with Hal figuring out what Krona did.

6) Bring the whole effing Corps to Earth and make a super effing sci-fi battle to surpass the man/machine war in the Matrix movies.

I could have made this damn movie a classic. It could have changed the face of Sci-Fi like Star Wars."

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum