The Lanterncast Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Empty DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:13 pm

DaoFAQ

DaoFAQ

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=45929

I decided to go all-digital and this month is when my DCBS orders dry up. I thought there was something weird going on when I went to get last month's Aquaman and the price wasn't dropped yet (DC drops the prices on digital after a month for those who don't read digital). I thought maybe it was because Aquaman was delayed so I needed to wait another week, turns out that DC moved the price drop date to 8 weeks after release instead of 4 weeks.

2DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Empty Re: DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:05 am

gland

gland

Yeah, I'm not happy with a lot of what DC is doing right now.

3DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Empty Re: DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:36 pm

DaoFAQ

DaoFAQ

I gave this some thought and decided that I'm gonna just start getting stuff same day but trim off some books.

I can't decide what to get rid of so if anyone wants to help, here's the list of books that Comixology says I read:

Action Comics
Aquaman
Batgirl
Batman
Batman and Robin
Captain Marvel
Catwoman
Daredevil
Earth 2
The Flash
Iron Man
Justice League
Nightwing
Nova
Phantom Stranger
Ravagers
Scarlet Spider
Superboy
Supergirl
Superior Spider-Man
Superman
Talon
Teen Titans
Ultimate Spider-Man
Venom
Wonder Woman
Worlds' Finest
Young Avengers

I kept somethings off the list because whether it's absolutely atrocious or not I just can't get rid of it. you decide what goes on the chopping block and I'll try to be objective in whether to cut the cord or not. I'll stop when I can get to around 5 titles to nix.

4DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Empty Re: DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:07 am

gland

gland

That's a pretty good list, actually.  And I'm kind of surprised Ravagers is still going.  If it were me, I'd drop Ravagers, Iron Man, Worlds' Finest, and Teen Titans.  I haven't kept up with them, but those were the weakest links the last time I looked.

5DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Empty Re: DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:30 am

Highball2814

Highball2814

This is a move in the wrong direction. Digital comics should never be more than $1.99. EVER. And that is if they are more than 30 pages. I buy comics digitally, but only for $.99.

6DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Empty Re: DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:41 am

DaoFAQ

DaoFAQ

Highball2814 wrote:This is a move in the wrong direction.  Digital comics should never be more than $1.99. EVER.  And that is if they are more than 30 pages.  I buy comics digitally, but only for $.99.

iTunes and Comixology take a cut, a flat rate not a percentage, so .99 comics wouldn't be a sustainable model

7DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Empty Re: DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:46 pm

choanata

Admin

DaoFAQ wrote:
Highball2814 wrote:This is a move in the wrong direction.  Digital comics should never be more than $1.99. EVER.  And that is if they are more than 30 pages.  I buy comics digitally, but only for $.99.

iTunes and Comixology take a cut, a flat rate not a percentage, so .99 comics wouldn't be a sustainable model

Yeah, but with digital, you take out the steps of printing, shipping, and splitting the cost with diamond and then the comic shops. And as far as the amount taken by comixology, those apps fail without Marvel and DC, so they can negotiate. If anything, it's the indy books that would cost more because they don't have the same leverage, and those are the ones that have sales much more often.

8DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Empty Re: DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:12 pm

gland

gland

What they need is the confidence that the books would sell LOADS if priced cheaper, which they don't have, because comic-related companies don't advertise worth shit.

9DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Empty Re: DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:27 pm

EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly

On the subject of digital, but a bit of an aside, the recent Image announcement that they would be selling their digital material DRM-free is probably a bit of a game changer.

For me, a big part of my resistance to the digital switchover has been the idea of buying "nothing" - that it is more like I am paying for the right to read a book on a website/app.  Suddenly, having a PDF of a book?  A PDF that I can load onto a flash drive and carry with me to read anytime I want?  That I could have entire runs of book in my hand without having to access some "cloud" somewhere?  That I could print out if I wanted to waste all the ink in my printer? That is something that, while not enticing me set my physical copies ablaze immediately, it does give me pause.

I recently had a yard sale.  I put out tons of comics and trades... and I still have tons left.  I am growing tired of the space that my comics take up.  I'm not really a collector anymore, just a reader.  So, each month I get around between 10 and 15 comics, which doesn't seem like that much except it... never... ends...

Every year, I'm picking up about between 120 and 180 comics from my pull list.  Generally, if I like a title, I like to keep the backissues around for at least a while.  Having a PDF would be an ideal solution for me - I'd "own" the material but not have to deal with the physical clutter.

It would be different if I were into this to make a profit on the books... but I'm not.  I sold a bunch of books at the yard sale for 50 cents and a dollar each, and trades for $4.00 each.  I'm at the point where I'm just buying to read.  If I can keep the material around without it taking up space so I could read it again whenever I wanted... well, that'd be great.

It will be very interesting to see how the other companies react to the Image announcement now that a relatively big company has pulled this trigger.

10DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Empty Re: DC Shifts Comixology Pricing Window Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:16 am

gland

gland

That is quite the announcement. Although it doesn't sound like you're too far from being ok with "owning nothing". A realization that I came to some time ago was that buying a print copy, reading it once or twice, and filing it away in a box forever really isn't all that different from buying a digital copy, reading it once or twice, and losing access to/deleting it. The only real difference is the amount of clutter.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]