You are not connected. Please login or register

Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:49 pm

*Episode 145 will be up within the week*

Jim and Chad tackle all the zero issues this episode! Green Lantern, GL Corps, New Guardians and Red Lanterns. Plus, a Larfleeze Report. All this AND a special guest appearance by the newest Lanterncaster! Edited by the Epic LanternCast Producer, James Doyle! Call our voicemail number at 708-LANTERN!

Music by Desinu – “Green Ice”!

Download Episode #146 Here!

View user profile

2 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:00 am

I don't feel that Simon's religion is really that big a part of his character. I'll freely admit that I'm a little biased in this but I don't think Baz is anymore religious than Chad.
The fact that Geoff Johns is half-Lebanese makes sense, I've noticed something familiar about him since I first saw what he looks like, now it fits.
Dearborn has the largest concentration of Arabs outside of the Middle East, especially Lebanese.

View user profile

3 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:25 pm

What happens in the dead zone, stays in the dead zone!

And I don't think Baz lied or was doing anything that would prevent him from getting a ring. He always told the truth and was trying to help his family, in all honesty he is a better person then Guy in a lot of his previous incarnations.

And being called stupid isn't anything, I've had death threats because I was raised atheist (more agnostic now then anything) and mostly from "Christians" (I use quotes because they are the typical hypocrites that are the ones that the aggression is towards, not "real" Christians who actually practice what they preach). I would gladly take being called stupid or people just being hostile to me. And my life experiences can't even compare to what Baz went through just because of his descent and his religion.

View user profile

4 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:40 am

Jim, don't get hung up on semantics that haven't counted for a decade. You have to be able to overcome great fear, and be strong-willed. Honesty isn't a deciding factor. Him being a thief has nothing to do with his worth as a candidate. Hell, just look at the rest of the lot...Hal is a womanizer who routinely crashes and destroys multi-million dollar pieces of equipment. Guy's the biggest asshole on the planet, who may or may not use fists as puncuation. John went from having a tremendous chip on his shoulder to having this problem with NOT killing people. Kyle got his ring as he was stumbling out of a bar at like noon. NONE of these people are model recruits, and they're all pretty fucked up in their own special way. Simon fits in pretty well.

View user profile

5 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:04 am

You are completely mistaken here. What do Hal, Guy, John and Kyle all have in common? They do what they do for the greater good. They are noble. Hal crashes jets? He does that so a soldier won't die in the field with an untested plane. Guy's a surly asshole? Yeah, because he was treated that crap growing up and now he isn't going to stand by and watch it happen to others. They are all like that. The thing that separates a Green Lantern from your average joe is that ring or no ring, if they see someone that needs help, they help no matter the odds. And they are like that before and after the ring picks them. They are virtuous.

Now with Baz they are deliberately going the opposite direction. Problem is, it don't sit right for a Green Lantern. He steals cars. Maybe it is to buy food for his sister. But he still steals cars. He's not Robin Hood. He's not just attacking the wealthy. He's attacking those he thinks would be wealthy based on the car they drive. And he steals it and it benefits one person. Two considering the kid. Anybody who is virtuous and possesses willpower would find another way to feed them. It's a crock. They can only justify it because the ring made an error.

View user profile

6 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:30 am

It's discussions like above that make this show great. Jim and Dan are counters to each other while still being on the same side. One's Iron Man, the other is Captain America. and Chad is Spider-Man, he sort of has his own opinion but sometimes aligns himself with one of them.

View user profile

7 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:08 am

If we're going with Marvel references, Jason would be Captain America, I would be Mr Fantastic, Dan would be She-Hulk and Chad would be Squirrel Girl. James would be Uatu the Watcher.

Lauren would be Galactus, lol.

View user profile

8 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:22 am

I have to agree with Dan on this.

I mean Guy has been an insane renegade after his own goals for years, they changed it later to him being more of a big brother type.

John did have a huge chip of his shoulder and kills half the people he knows, and later they made him the smart military man, that does things when he has to.

Hal was a freaking jerk though over half his comics and problably and adrinaline junky. In the old comics he as prone to throwing the ring away and punching a guy as he was to actually use his ring. And he didn't crash planes to makesure others wouldn't, he took them past thier endurance levels and wrecked them. The reasons for this are debateable but I've always seen it as part of trying to feel closer to his dad, or even just for the adrinaline. He has no fear, to paraphrase brave and the bold: A man without fear would be a psycho not a hero.

Kyle... I never got that he was coming out of a bar in the middle ofthe day!! lol!! He was an out of work kid who had no will and not much going for him.

Simon is an honest man, even whey they were torturing him he never lied even though it would make them stop. Yes he was stealing cars but he didn't have any false ideas about it. He knew he was a thief but its not like he wanted to be. When you got the car with the bomb he drove it to the one place he was sure would be abandoned so noone would get hurt and wasn't afraid to sacrifice himself.

View user profile

9 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:59 pm

So...

I'm Spider-man AND Squirrel Girl (both for reasons largely unexplained)

Lauren is Galactus and Jim, KNOWING full well that we're all jerks and would rat him out to his wife at a moments notice, willingly DOESN'T provide an explanation to that one?

Also: Jim you're wrong. I already explained why in the episode and Dan added to my point with...you know...some logic.

Huh, this episode is THAT late and the first thing someone says ISN'T some variation of, "It's about time!"? Sweet. We can take our time on these review episodes boys! Let's do more interviews!!!

View user profile http://www.lanterncast.com

10 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:17 pm

cage_narleigh wrote:So...

I'm Spider-man AND Squirrel Girl (both for reasons largely unexplained)

Lauren is Galactus and Jim, KNOWING full well that we're all jerks and would rat him out to his wife at a moments notice, willingly DOESN'T provide an explanation to that one?

Also: Jim you're wrong. I already explained why in the episode and Dan added to my point with...you know...some logic.

Huh, this episode is THAT late and the first thing someone says ISN'T some variation of, "It's about time!"? Sweet. We can take our time on these review episodes boys! Let's do more interviews!!!

Logic is only valuable if it's...you know... Valid.

I will add that my son would be the Franklin Richards, as he's already transforming my reality.

View user profile

11 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:30 am

choanata wrote:You are completely mistaken here. What do Hal, Guy, John and Kyle all have in common? They do what they do for the greater good. They are noble. Hal crashes jets? He does that so a soldier won't die in the field with an untested plane. Guy's a surly asshole? Yeah, because he was treated that crap growing up and now he isn't going to stand by and watch it happen to others. They are all like that. The thing that separates a Green Lantern from your average joe is that ring or no ring, if they see someone that needs help, they help no matter the odds. And they are like that before and after the ring picks them. They are virtuous.

Now with Baz they are deliberately going the opposite direction. Problem is, it don't sit right for a Green Lantern. He steals cars. Maybe it is to buy food for his sister. But he still steals cars. He's not Robin Hood. He's not just attacking the wealthy. He's attacking those he thinks would be wealthy based on the car they drive. And he steals it and it benefits one person. Two considering the kid. Anybody who is virtuous and possesses willpower would find another way to feed them. It's a crock. They can only justify it because the ring made an error.

Stealing cars is better than crashing jets ON PURPOSE. Plenty of people are able to accurately test the safety and stability of new aircraft without taking things to the needlessly reckless extremes Hal does. And let's not even pretend that Hal DOESN'T crash those things partly for the sheer thrill of it. Simon does something that's stupid and reckless...like Hal. Simon is who he is because of going through sucky times growing up...like Guy. It doesn't matter if you agree with the morals of what he does. I don't agree with the morals of Hal Jordan taking something insanely expensive that hundreds of people put a lot of time and work into creating, and trying his best to break it, just to see what happens. But I'm not going to call him a bad choice for a GL becase of it, since he obviously meets the requirements: he's strong-willed, and can overcome fear.

View user profile

12 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:33 am

To be fair the only quality you need to be a green lantern is to be from the US. Personally I would have perfered an actual terroist then what Baz ended up being. A terroist that believes in the cause just not the actions of.

As for red lanterns 0 greed and will were not killed. Artie needed the will to carry out his plan. As well as the greed to think of nothing but himself. I tell you now artie is the strongest willed character in the universe. To carry on the rage even now. Takes alot of will. His greed is shown when he takes the blood of the inversions to make his plans go forward.

GLC loved the cop angle. I just wonder why no john origin.

New guardians carols costume is ok nothing huge for me. Dont hate it dont love it. For why there are more zombies. They all didnt dig themselves out at the same time?

View user profile

13 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:41 pm

cage_narleigh wrote:So...

I'm Spider-man AND Squirrel Girl (both for reasons largely unexplained)

Lauren is Galactus and Jim, KNOWING full well that we're all jerks and would rat him out to his wife at a moments notice, willingly DOESN'T provide an explanation to that one?

Also: Jim you're wrong. I already explained why in the episode and Dan added to my point with...you know...some logic.

Huh, this episode is THAT late and the first thing someone says ISN'T some variation of, "It's about time!"? Sweet. We can take our time on these review episodes boys! Let's do more interviews!!!

It's Marvel Civil War reference: Cap and Tony were doing what they thought was right, therefore they're still sort of on the same side, and Spider-man was initially with the Pro-Reg side then changed for his own reasons (not sure this is right because I never actually read Civil War but it is the impression I got), you're sort of the tie breaker in this scenario, sometimes you're Cap although you never happen to be Tony. Jim is Iron Man because I agree with Dan and I didn't like the idea of the SHRA when I heard about it.

I think Jim means Lauren is an Omega level threat, let's face it she could easily go toe to toe with the Hulk and the Phoenix. I've never met Lauren and I don't know her at all but I'll admit, I'm a little afraid of her. I'd never backtalk to her, and I'm a wise-ass to almost everyone.

View user profile

14 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 pm

I love the idea of calling Atrocitus "Artie". So says Captain America.

View user profile

15 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:22 am

gland wrote:I love the idea of calling Atrocitus "Artie". So says Captain America.

I prefer to think of him as "Atty".

View user profile

16 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Dang no LOVE for GL #0 Jim!!!

I think Baz's main drive for staying a GL is to prove that he is worthy of the ring and responsibility. And while some people may not want religion in their comics Johns is bringing today's climate into the GL books. Do I really care for another story showing with Arab-Americans are also Americans? No but it's part of Baz's story so I'm willing to hang around a bit to learn more.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who is grooving on Red Lanterns...maybe Milligan is finding his groove?

View user profile

17 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:35 pm

Hey guys, now that #15's are all out how about doing two shows that cover a) Green Lantern #13-15 & GLC #13-15 and b) New Guardians #13-15 & Red Lanterns #13-15.

Great way to catch up!

View user profile

18 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:51 pm

And get it out of the way lickety split. I say we do it all in one episode. Spend no more than 5 minutes on each book!

View user profile

19 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:08 pm

There is no way you guys can cover an issue in 5 minutes! It wouldn't be thorough and then we wouldn't hear someone go on a good rant.

View user profile

20 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 am

Episode 151. 12 books. Just you wait.

View user profile

21 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Corwin wrote:There is no way you guys can cover an issue in 5 minutes! It wouldn't be thorough and then we wouldn't hear someone go on a good rant.

I agree with Corwin. I want to hear some good ranting on the Rise of the Turd Army story arc (or lack of story arc).

Maybe you can address the quality of the current issues to those of the past. As Green Lantern historians, are you satisfied with the current issues (even since the New 52) and the direction Green Lantern is going?

View user profile

22 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:01 am

[quote="Blume"]
Corwin wrote:There is no way you guys can cover an issue in 5 minutes!
Maybe you can address the quality of the current issues to those of the past. As Green Lantern historians, are you satisfied with the current issues (even since the New 52) and the direction Green Lantern is going?

We actually just recorded episode 149, and led off with a conversation about basically that.

View user profile

23 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:56 am

[quote="gland"]
Blume wrote:
Corwin wrote:There is no way you guys can cover an issue in 5 minutes!
Maybe you can address the quality of the current issues to those of the past. As Green Lantern historians, are you satisfied with the current issues (even since the New 52) and the direction Green Lantern is going?

We actually just recorded episode 149, and led off with a conversation about basically that.

And who says you guys don't give the listeners what they want?

View user profile

24 Re: Lanterncast: Episode 146 - Zero Issues on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Corwin wrote:And who says you guys don't give the listeners what they want?

Not me. I asked for a review of the GL vs Aliens last year and I got it. Lanterncast is a podcast by the people for the people.

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum