The Lanterncast Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The LanternCast - Introduce Yourself Thread!

+6
Highball2814
Bamastew
gland
jaydee74
EarthGBilly
DaoFAQ
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

DaoFAQ

DaoFAQ

I thought we should resurrect this from the old forum. When I first joined the forums, this made me feel welcome and I want any newcomers to feel the same way. If someone wants to remake this as a sticky, great.

If veterans want to reintroduce themselves then the new guys will get to know us a little too.

EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly

You know, I don't think that I ever actually posted in the previous "Introduce Yourself" thread.

My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child.

Wait, no, that's not right.

My name is Billy. I'm from Michigan. I'm old. I first got to know Jim through our now defunct webcomics.

My favorite Lantern is Driq, but my favorite active Lantern is Guy Gardner. Hal Jordan? Doesn't even rank. (He has the personality of cardboard.)

My favorite comic book character, despite his current terrible incarnation, is Firestorm.

What else?

I find Watchmen to be the best use of the comics medium created thus far and refuse to watch the movie or even consider reading the money-grab known as Before Watchmen.

One of my all-time favorite stories in comics is Fearful Symmetry (aka, Kraven's Last Hunt), which now may have never happened thanks to One More Day and the principal of, "It's magic, we don't have to explain it."

Quesaaaaaddddddddaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm firmly of the belief that the triceratops was the coolest dinosaur (sorry, stegosaurus fans), Monster Squad is superior to Goonies, and that, despite being a Detroit Tigers fan, the designated hitter rule is stupid.

I prefer The Chronicles of Riddick to Pitch Black, the first Godfather film to the second. Huge fan of Star Trek but kinda hated the J.J. Abrams reboot (and, though I have actual reasons, because I'm a fan of the original version, those reasons are often dismissed out of hand).

I don't get the popularity of John Romita, Jr.'s art.

As an original art collector, I would take a well-crafted page of nine panel grid over 90% of the splash pages out there.

Ang Lee's Hulk was a bad movie. No, I know - some of the people of this world like to defend it, but I'm just saying - it was bad.

Any other opinions I can spout off?

Wally West is the best Flash. When I started reading comics, Barry Allen was the Flash, so it isn't just that Wally West was the only thing I was familiar with. Wally West is just a better character overall. Barry Allen? Well, if Hal Jordan has the personality of cardboard (and, as has already been established, he does), then Barry Allen as the personality of wet cardboard.

Blazing Saddles is the funniest film of all time, followed closely by Young Frankenstein.

The scariest film ever made is The Omen (the original, not that terrible remake).

When I think of Dracula, my mind instantly goes to Christopher Lee from the Hammer Films.

I name my laptops after celebrity crushes within my lifetime. Tia, Hayley, Sandra, Mira, and Maureen.

That'll do for now.

DaoFAQ

DaoFAQ

EarthGBilly wrote:You know, I don't think that I ever actually posted in the previous "Introduce Yourself" thread.

My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child.

Wait, no, that's not right.

My name is Billy. I'm from Michigan. I'm old. I first got to know Jim through our now defunct webcomics.

My favorite Lantern is Driq, but my favorite active Lantern is Guy Gardner. Hal Jordan? Doesn't even rank. (He has the personality of cardboard.)

My favorite comic book character, despite his current terrible incarnation, is Firestorm.

What else?

I find Watchmen to be the best use of the comics medium created thus far and refuse to watch the movie or even consider reading the money-grab known as Before Watchmen.

One of my all-time favorite stories in comics is Fearful Symmetry (aka, Kraven's Last Hunt), which now may have never happened thanks to One More Day and the principal of, "It's magic, we don't have to explain it."

Quesaaaaaddddddddaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm firmly of the belief that the triceratops was the coolest dinosaur (sorry, stegosaurus fans), Monster Squad is superior to Goonies, and that, despite being a Detroit Tigers fan, the designated hitter rule is stupid.

I prefer The Chronicles of Riddick to Pitch Black, the first Godfather film to the second. Huge fan of Star Trek but kinda hated the J.J. Abrams reboot (and, though I have actual reasons, because I'm a fan of the original version, those reasons are often dismissed out of hand).

I don't get the popularity of John Romita, Jr.'s art.

As an original art collector, I would take a well-crafted page of nine panel grid over 90% of the splash pages out there.

Ang Lee's Hulk was a bad movie. No, I know - some of the people of this world like to defend it, but I'm just saying - it was bad.

Any other opinions I can spout off?

Wally West is the best Flash. When I started reading comics, Barry Allen was the Flash, so it isn't just that Wally West was the only thing I was familiar with. Wally West is just a better character overall. Barry Allen? Well, if Hal Jordan has the personality of cardboard (and, as has already been established, he does), then Barry Allen as the personality of wet cardboard.

Blazing Saddles is the funniest film of all time, followed closely by Young Frankenstein.

The scariest film ever made is The Omen (the original, not that terrible remake).

When I think of Dracula, my mind instantly goes to Christopher Lee from the Hammer Films.

I name my laptops after celebrity crushes within my lifetime. Tia, Hayley, Sandra, Mira, and Maureen.

That'll do for now.

Things I Agree With:
Hal, although Flashpoint seems to have given him a personality so I'm kind of changing my mind on this.

Firestorm, I'm a chemist so it's cool to see someone use my brain powers in the real world (I know that doesn't make sense but imagine if a Viking read Thor and you've sort of got that)

OMD is annoying as F***, I try not to hate on comic creators but Quesada needs to be punished Twisted Evil

Chronicles of Riddick, saw it before Pitch Black, Pitch Black was still good but I've honestly never seen Vin Diesel better fit for a role than Riddick (except maybe the Iron Giant, effing great movie)

Hulk movie

Wally's my favorite Flash, mainly because I'm a JLU kid, don't feel one way or another about Barry since I only started buying comics since last Nov. but I like DCnU Flash.

jaydee74

jaydee74

Hi there. I'm Jamie and I just discovered these forums. I'm on the CGS forums under the same name. I was born and raised in New Jersey. My favorite band is the Beatles. I have been reading Green Lantern since 1979 or 1980. I don't remember the exact year. My favorite Green Lantern is Hal Jordan. I've always thought of him as the Captain Kirk of the DC Universe and I really got into him during that story where the Guardians more or less exiled him from Earth for a whole year. I thought it was a great story. My favorite Star Trek movie is Wrath of Khan. My favorite Star Wars movie is A New Hope. My favorite fictional character is Luke Skywalker. My favorite color is green. My favorite sports team is the New York Giants. My favorite pro wrestler of all-time was Randy "Macho Man" Savage and currently it's Daniel Bryan. My favorite sci-fi franchise is Doctor Who and my favorite Doctor is the 2nd Doctor. My favorite people in the world are my wife and my daughter. I think that's all for now. Smile

DaoFAQ

DaoFAQ

jaydee74 wrote:Hi there. I'm Jamie and I just discovered these forums. I'm on the CGS forums under the same name. I was born and raised in New Jersey. My favorite band is the Beatles. I have been reading Green Lantern since 1979 or 1980. I don't remember the exact year. My favorite Green Lantern is Hal Jordan. I've always thought of him as the Captain Kirk of the DC Universe and I really got into him during that story where the Guardians more or less exiled him from Earth for a whole year. I thought it was a great story. My favorite Star Trek movie is Wrath of Khan. My favorite Star Wars movie is A New Hope. My favorite fictional character is Luke Skywalker. My favorite color is green. My favorite sports team is the New York Giants. My favorite pro wrestler of all-time was Randy "Macho Man" Savage and currently it's Daniel Bryan. My favorite sci-fi franchise is Doctor Who and my favorite Doctor is the 2nd Doctor. My favorite people in the world are my wife and my daughter. I think that's all for now. Smile

Welcome Smile. I guess if Hal's the Kirk then that explains why Sisko's my favorite cause he would have a lot in common with John. John was made the first mortal guardian and Sisko joined the Prophets in the wormhole.

jaydee74

jaydee74

I can see aspects of Sisko in John Stewart for sure. Good comparison.

gland

gland

Hi, I'm Dan, I do a show about something or whatever. Proof that you should always say yes when a stranger on the internet propositions you after finding you on a public forum :p

...the slightly more serious version of that is that I started listening to Comic Geek Speak on May 22nd 2007. I couldn't sleep, watched some video, and it had an add for CGS in it. So I figured, what the hell? I listened to a few, I eventually joined their forums, and eventually Jim noticed me talking Green Lantern in some threads. A PM was sent, asking if I'd be interested in co-hosting a GL podcast, and here we are.

I've been reading comics since I could read, and really started following Green Lantern monthly with Kyle Rayner. As a kid, I was raised on Superfriends and Adam West Batman and Thundercats and Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters. I thought Spider-Man was a criminal, because he clearly dressed as a bad guy. My favorite Doctor is whoever the current one is at the time.

jaydee74

jaydee74

My favorite Doctor is the one I am currently watching is oddly enough the favorite answer Doctor Who fans have when asked that question.

gland

gland

It's the only answer that makes sense in the long run.

jaydee74

jaydee74

True enough and it's funny how true that is because as I watch classic stories with various Doctors, I feel that way at times but I still think I like #2 the most. I find him so quirky and funny and his interactions with Jamie McCrimmon was absolutely awesome. If you haven't seen it yet, check out "Tomb of the Cybermen". Loved that story so much. One of my favorites.

11The LanternCast - Introduce Yourself Thread! Empty I'm me Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:34 pm

Bamastew

I'm Jesse from South Carolina that sometimes drops a voicemail. I originally from Tennessee but went to high school in Alabama and then college at the University of Alabama. I love to watch my Tide play on Saturdays. I met my wife at UofA, so some of my best memories are from those 5 years.

I've been a GL fan since the Superfriends cartoon, even though he wasn't in many episodes. When the other kids wanted to be Superman and Batman, I was Green Lantern. My favorite Green Lantern is Hal. I didn't even know about Kyle until I got back into GL with Blackest Night. I quit buying comics a couple years before Emerald Twilight when I became a poor college student. Skipped right over the Kyle era. But, after going back and reading parts of his run, he's my second favorite Green Latern. The one exception during my comic book hiatus was Deathstroke, I followed him through his original series and Teen Titans cross-overs. I liked what they did with him in the new 52, then Rob Liefeld came along and killed the book with the stupid Lobo storyline. Justin Jordan almost redeemed it, but then it was cancelled.

My daughter actually got me back into comics by insisting that I take her to free comic book day the year that Blackest Night #0 came out. She got into comics after picking up a Spider-girl collection at a book fair at school. Now, me and all 3 of my kids are hooked on Green Lantern.

Some of the my other favorites:
>People - My wife, 16 year old daughter, and 13 and 8 year old sons.
>Historical Figure - Jesus Christ. I came to know him as my Savior around 2001, after several years of seeing the strength and compassion and love he gave to my wife.
>Non-fiction Book - The Bible
>Movie - Star Wars. A New Hope that is. I'll always think of it as just Star Wars. I saw it in the theatre during its first run when I was 6. My older brother took me.
>TV Series - Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (although Kirk will always be my favorite captain). Heroes came close to overtaking it.
>Fictional Book - The Stand by Stephen King
>Song - Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd
>Music Group - Skillet (also introduced to me by my daughter)
>Doctor - the 10th, David Tenant, although I also like 9th and 2nd.
>Doctor's Companion - Rose Tyler, but Clara is growing on me.

I hope to become a regular on the forums, but with kids...

gland

gland

My daughter actually got me back into comics by insisting that I take her to free comic book day the year that Blackest Night #0 came out. She got into comics after picking up a Spider-girl collection at a book fair at school. Now, me and all 3 of my kids are hooked on Green Lantern.

That's the best thing I've read all week.  It must be amazing to share your fandom with your kids.

Highball2814

Highball2814

My friends call me Buck.  I am 27.  I got married 10 days ago.  I was in the US Marines from August 2006 to August 2010.  I have worked at Walmart catching shoplifters for the better part of the last 3 years.  I start college August 5th.  I will be going to LA Film School. My first of two tattoos was a GL symbol on my right arm.

Favorites:
Movie - Fight Club
Show - GLTAS (I am not just saying that. I can't stop watching it. I am really sad it's gone)
Comic series - Secret Six
Current Ongoing Series - Justice League Dark.
Earth GL - Hal
Alien GL - Sinestro
Lantern Corps - Indigo Tribe
Lantern Oath - GLTAS Red Lantern Oath
Team-up - ANY team-up with The Flash Barry Allen and Hal Jordan
GL Centric Story - Blackest Night
Single Issue - GL #9 Vol 4. Batman/GL team up.  This was my first issue.  I had read a few old school comics here and there and the Bruce Timm cartoons, but that single issue was my introduction into comics and the culture that came with it.

I started listening to the show in May.  I am currently listening to "Episode #119 -Best of 2011!".  That is where I am at currently.

I think that's all I can think of for now.  Thanks for being here.

choanata

Admin

Highball2814 wrote:My friends call me Buck.

What do acquaintances call you?

How about mortal enemies?

EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly

Highball2814 wrote: I was in the US Marines from August 2006 to August 2010.

Thank you for your service!cheers 

Highball2814

Highball2814

choanata wrote:
Highball2814 wrote:My friends call me Buck.

What do acquaintances call you?

How about mortal enemies?

HAHA!!

Acquaintances call me "Hey, you".

Enemies call me their worst nightmare.

lol!

Highball2814

Highball2814

EarthGBilly wrote:
Highball2814 wrote: I was in the US Marines from August 2006 to August 2010.

Thank you for your service!cheers 

It was my honor.Smile 

Azreon

Hi I'm new here I'm new to the comics but not new to the green lantern characters as a whole I liked the green lantern animated series and justice league

cage_narleigh

cage_narleigh
Admin

^ That post reminded me that, occasionally, we reel in another GL fan to our little community and MAYBE I should actually post something in this thread. Cause, you know, I'm just so freakin prepared for these things. lol

My name is Chad.

That is all...
Laughing 

Anyways, my name is Chad. I'm a co-host on this show dedicated to some dude with a glowing green ring bequeathed to him by some dying purple dude. I've been a co-host for a little while now, though I can't remember exactly when I was first on as a co-host (I think it was sometime during the Weaponer storyline)

Actually...hang on, I keep forgetting this website of ours has a search feature...

Ok, so it turns out I was first officially on the show hyping the GL Documentary idea (which ultimately went nowhere thanks to copyright law) in episode #39. Recently I've been thinking of putting the GL documentary together anyways, but not NEARLY as high level production quality as I originally intended, but that's neither here nor there.

Then, in episode #56 I snagged a quick, poor audio quality interview with Scott Kolins for the guys during Free Comic Book Day that year.

In episode #57 I started doing 'The Larfleeze Report' at Jim's request.

LanternCast Presents: Elseworlds #1 was my first appearance in the co-host role but for a new spin off focusing (of course) on GL related Elseworlds.

Then co-hosting duties officially began with episode #76.

Since then it's been a non-stop ride of interviews, Larfleeze reports of varying quality, becoming the LanternCast scapegoat and FB riot starter, and even starting an all NEW spin off "The Lanterncast Presents: Green Lantern/Green Arrow". (Which I HAVEN'T forgotten about, I just promised an epic second episode and I'm trying to arrange things to live up to that promise. I really do have a clear plan with what I want to do with that show.)

I only mention all of the above because, it seems, the new listeners we snag, we snag with the FIRST episodes. Very few people jump in with the most recent one (it seems). So, alot of you newbies might not know who I am or where I come into play. So there you go.

Forgetting all of the above crap...

I'm a comic fan, though I haven't been one too terribly long. I'm 26 now and I started reading GL issue by issue starting with the Rage of the Red Lanterns Final Crisis Special. And that wasn't TOO terribly long ago. So I'm relatively new to comics.

Some of my FIRST comics as a kid:
'Nexus/Magnus the Robot Fighter' #2
Modred the Mystic #1
Ms. Marvel #1
The X-Men #1

Favorite Characters:

Marvel: Thor, Gambit, Firestar, Captain Universe, Venom, Loki
DC: Green Lantern, Firestorm, Ragman, Phantom Stranger, Deadman, Starfire, Riddler, Deathstorm, Anti-Monitor, Dream Girl, Dawnstar, Shadow Lass

I also like to write, hike, cook and think about stuff...

and, occasionally, I log onto skype with two other dudes and talk about Green Lantern and comics and occasionally it even gets recorded...

http://www.lanterncast.com

20The LanternCast - Introduce Yourself Thread! Empty Hi all Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Dariusknight

Hi all,

I'm David, also known as Dariusknight, I found the Lanterncast a few months ago while looking for podcasts to listen to on iTunes on topics I enjoy (GL being one of them) I listened to Episode #0 and was hooked. Nice job guys, keep them coming as I listen to them while at work. Just a quick question, with how well the Man Of Steel movie did in theaters this summer, do you think it's likely that they'll do a Green Lantern movie sequel or reboot before they do the Justice League movie, or will they re-introduce the character then and see about another GL movie after?

DaoFAQ

DaoFAQ

Dariusknight wrote:Hi all,

I'm David, also known as Dariusknight, I found the Lanterncast a few months ago while looking for podcasts to listen to on iTunes on topics I enjoy (GL being one of them) I listened to Episode #0 and was hooked. Nice job guys, keep them coming as I listen to them while at work. Just a quick question, with how well the Man Of Steel movie did in theaters this summer, do you think it's likely that they'll do a Green Lantern movie sequel or reboot before they do the Justice League movie, or will they re-introduce the character then and see about another GL movie after?
My theory is that they'll introduce him in The Flash movie, it would make sense since Hal and Barry are good friends.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum